This holiday season, the Rocky River Watershed Council is extremely grateful for the continued support of our members, donors, partners and volunteers. As you can see below, we have been very busy in 2014 – and we have even more planned for 2015 – but we can’t do it alone! Please consider supporting the Rocky River Watershed Council with a tax-deductible donation, by becoming a member and by volunteering your time. While we continue to develop our volunteer base, it is equally important to expand our membership base. Please consider strengthening the Rocky River Watershed Council through a membership in RRWC.
With your help, we were able to accomplish the following for the Rocky River in 2014:
- Formed Abram Creek, Baldwin Creek, Coe Creek and Brunswick Area Stream Teams,
- Reduced the amount of sediment washing off of farm fields into Mallet Creek and Plum Creek by over 1000 tons through the installation of cover crops and the implementation of conservation tillage practices,
- Planted hundreds of trees and shrubs,
- Tested water quality at 36 sites throughout the watershed, and
- Engaged over 300 volunteers to plant trees along streams and clean trash from the Rocky River and its tributaries.
By supporting the Rocky River Watershed Council with a tax-deductible contribution, you will allow us to maintain and expand our efforts in the New Year! Planning is already underway on these exciting 2015 initiatives:
- Establishing stream teams in the West Branch and Upper East Branch subwatersheds,
- Removing the fourth dam on Baldwin Creek,
- Continuing to reduce sediment pollution through the “Stopping Sediment at its Source” project in Mallet Creek and Plum Creek,
- Stabilizing streambanks and recovering floodplain function in Baldwin Creek,
- Reforesting streamside corridors in our Stream Team subwatersheds through a Lake Erie Protection Fund grant,
- Expanding outreach about stream-friendly greenspace management to residents, communities and other land managers, and
- Increasing opportunities to get involved through tree plantings, stream cleanups, and community events.
Thank you again, and We Wish You and Your Family Very Safe and Happy Holidays!!!
-The Rocky River Watershed Council